- About Us
- Our Work
- Community Change
- Cultural Competency
- Youth Programs
- Reference Materials
- In The News
- Social Media
- Contact Us
Through roughly seventy years of work, we have learned much from those who have gone before us, and those that study discrimination and inclusion. The reference materials listed are available to aid you in your own work for inclusion in your community. Reference materials are not hyperlinked to internet source pages, as source page on the internet change often.
Reference Materials are listed with the following information: Title. Author. Publisher. Published Date/Copyright Date. Other Relevant Information.
If you have additional materials that you think should be added to our list, you can fill out a form here.
- Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism. James W. Loewen. Touchstone. 2005.
- Cultivating Interdependence: A Guide for Race Relations and Racial Justice Organizations. Maggie Potapchuk. Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. 2004.
- American Apartheid. Douglas Massey & Nancy A. Denton. Harvard University Press. 1993.
- One America in the 21st Century: Forging a New Future. The President’s Initaitive on Race, The Advisory Board’s Report to the President. 1998.
- Healthy, Equitable Transportation Policy: Recommendations & Research. PolicyLink, Prevention Institute, Convergence Partnership. 2009.
- Structural Racism and Community Building. The Aspen Institute Roundtable on Community Change. 2004.
- Kids Count Data Book. Annie E. Casey Foundation. Published Annually.
- U.S. Violations of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Race Discrimination: Turning a Blind Eye to Injustice. ACLU. 2007.
- Black access to suburban housing in America’s most racially segregated metropolitan area: Detroit. Joe T. Darden, Michigan State University. 2004.
- Race & Recession: How Inequit Rigged the Economy and How to Change the Rules. Applied Research Center, May 2009
- Mirrors of Priveledge: Making Whiteness Visibile. World Trust Educational Services, Inc. 2006
- Race: The Power of an Illusion. California Newsreel. 2003.
- Tim Wise: On White Priveledge – Racism, White Denial, & the Costs of Inequality. Media Education Foundation. 2008.
- Crash. Lions Gate Entertainment. 2005.
- Cry, The Beloved Country. Darrell Roodt, Director. 1995.
- Ending the Cycle of Violence. Chariot Educational Videos. 2009.
- Race Matters Toolkit. Annie E. Casey Foundation 2010. www.aecf.org
- Unlearning Homophobia Series. Woman Vision. 2004.
- Anyone and Everyone. Iron Zeal Films/American Public Television. 2007.
Community Change Process
- Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change William Bridges. DeCapo Press. 1999.
- Training for Racial Equity and Inclusion: A Guide to Selected Programs. Ilana Shapiro. The Aspen Institute. 2002.
- Steps Toward an Inclusive Community. Maggie Potapchuk. Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. 2001.
- Holding up the Mirror: Working Interdependently for Just and Inclusive Communities. Maggie Potapchuk. Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. 2002.
- Bone to Pick: Of Forgiveness, Reconciliation, Reparation, and Revenge. Ellis Cose. Washington Square Press. 2005.
- Not By the Sword: How a Cantor and His Family Transformed a Klansman. Kathryn Watterson. Northeastern. 2001.
- Civil Rights Health Resource Manual: A Community Based Assessment. Michigan Department of Civil Rights. 2003.
- Community Change Processes and Progress in Addressing Racial Inequities. Maggie Potapchuk. 2007.
- Racial Equity Impact Assessments of Economic Policies and Public Budgets. Terry Kleher, Applied Research Center. 2009.
- Opportunity for All: Inequity, Linked Fate, and Social Justice in Detroit and Michigan. Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at The Ohio State University. 2008.
- MPO Reform: A National Agenda for Reforming Metropolitan Governance. Myron Orfield & Baris Gumu-Dawes. Institute on Race and Poverty at the University of Minnesota. 2009.
- The Future of Fair Credit and Fair Housing. Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at The Ohio State University. 2010.
- In My Country. Columbia TriStar. 2004.
- Interfaith Heroes. Daniel Buttery. Read The Spirit Books. 2008.
- Grassroots Spirituality: What it is, Why is is here, Where it is Going. Robert Forman. Imprint Academic. 2004.
- Faith in the Neighborhood Understanding America’s Religious Diversity. Belonging. Lucinda Mosher. Seabury Books. 2005.
- You Don’t Have to Be Wrong, For Me to Be Right: Finding Faith Without Fanaticism. Brad Hirschfield. Three Rivers Press. 2007.
- Friendship & Faith: The WISDOM of women creating alliances for peace. The Women of WISDOM (Women’s Interfaith Solutions for Dialogue and Outreach in Metro Detroit). 2010.
- A History of God: The 4,000 Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Karen Armstrong. Ballantine Books. 1993.
- The Holy Vote: The Politics of Faith in America. Ray Suarez. Harper Paperbacks. 2006.
- How to Be a Perfect Stranger: The Essential Religious Etiquette Handbook. Stuart M. Matlins, editor. Skylight Paths Publishing. 2006.
- Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy. Donald B. Kraybill. Jossey-Bass. 2010.
- Beyond our Differences. PBS Home Video. Entropy Films. 2009.
- One: A Contemporary Journey Towards a Timeless Destiny. Circle of Bliss Productions. 2005.
- Social Justice Grantmaking II. Highlights. The Foundation Center. 2009.
- Investing in a Diverse Democracy: Foundation Giving to Minority-Led Nonprofits. The Greenlining Institute. 2006.
- Funding Community Organizing: Social Change through Civic Participation. GrantCraft. 2008.
- American on Hold: Profiling, Prejudice & National Security, Center for Human Rights and Global Justice (CHRGJ) at New York University School of Law. 2010.
- Of Warrior Chiefs and Indian Princesses: The Psychological Consequences of American Indian Mascots. Stephanie A. Fryberg, Hazel Rose Markus, Daphna Oyserman, Joseph M. Stone. Basic & Applied Social Psychology 2008.
- Effect of Exposure to an American Indian Mascot on the tendency to Stereotype a Different Minority Group. Chu Kim-Prieto, Lizabeth A. Goldstein, Sumie Okazaki, Blake Kirschner. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 2010.
- Multicultural Trainingon American Indian Issues: Testing the Effectiveness of an Intervention to Change Attitudes Toward Native-Themed Mascots. Jesse A. Steinfeldt and Y. Joel Wong. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology 2010.
- Racism in the Electronic Age: Role of Online Forums in Expressing Racial Attitudes About American Indians. Jesse A. Steinfeldt, Brad D. Foltz, Jennifer K. Kaladow, Tracy N. Carlson, Louis A. Pagano, Jr., Emily Benton, M. Clint Steinfeldt. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology 2010.
Training for Diversity & Inclusion
- Cultural Diversity in Organizations: Theory, Research, & Practice. Taylor Cox, Jr. Berrett-Koehler Publishers. 1994.
- Creating the Multicultural Organization: A Strategy for Capturing the Power of Diversity. Taylor Cox, Jr. Jossey-Bass. 2001.
- Beyond Race and Gender: Unleashing the Power of Your Total Workforce by Managing Diversity. R. Roosevelt Thomas, Jr. AMACOM. 1991.
- BRIDGE: Building a Race and Immigration Dialogue in the Global Economy: A Popular Education Resource for Immigrant and Refugee Community Organizers. Eunice Hyunhye Cho, Francisco Arguelles Paz y Puente, Miriam Ching Yoon Louie, and Shsha Khokha, National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights. 2004.
- Longing: Stories of Racial Healing. Phyllis A. & Eugene F. Unterschuetz. Bahai’i Publishing. 2010.
- Awakening Through Love: Unveiling Your Deepest Goodness. John Makransky. Wisdom Publications. 2007.
- Finding Forgiveness: A 7 Step Program for Letting Go of Anger and Bitterness. Eileen R. Borris – Dunchunstang. McGraw-Hill. 2006.
- Forgive and Forget: Healing the Hurts We Never Deserved. Lewis Smedes. HarperOne. 2007.
- Forgive for Good: A Proven Prescription for Health and Happiness. Fred Luskin. HarperOne. 2003.
- Forgiveness is a Choice: A Step-By-Step Process for Resolving Anger and Restoring Hope. Robert Enright. American Psychological Association. 2001.
- Forgiveness: One Step at a Time. Joseph Sica. Twenty-Third Publications. 2009.
- Forgiveness: The Greatest Healer of All. Gerald G. Jampolsky. Atria Books/Beyond Words 1999.
- How Can I Forgive You? The Courage to Forgive, The Freedom Not To. Janis Abrahms Spring. Harper Paperbacks. 2005.
- The Power of Forgiving. Everett L. Worthington. Templeton Press. 2005.
- The Wisdom of Forgiveness: Intimate Conversation and Journeys. His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan. Riverhead Trade. 2005.
- Healing The Table/Coming to The Table. The Fetzer Institute. 2008.
- Theories Underlying the Coming to the Table Program. Amy Potter. 2009.
- The Complete Blue Eyed with Jane Elliott. DENKmal Film, Ltd. 2004.