Serving as a catalyst for change, we develop, organize and empower individuals and communities to advance equity and opportunity for all.
(History) The Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion traces its beginnings to 1939, when Rabbi Leo Franklin and Rev. Harry Hitt Crane returned from attending an NCCJ conference in New York and established the Detroit chapter in 1941. Over the years, interfaith engagement has been at the core of the NCCJ/Greater Detroit Interfaith Roundtable/Michigan Roundtable as faith leaders assumed leadership roles in the organization. Our success as an organization is due in part to the myriad of relationships we have established with Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Baha’is, Buddhists, Native Americans and others.
Over the years, the interfaith activity of the Roundtable focused in a variety of ways. From 1980 to the mid 1990’s we developed the lay, clergy and scholar trialogs and the grand interfaith symposium, a period that saw a growth in interfaith participation and leadership development. In the mid 90’s we moved toward engaging more participants and congregations. The interfaith work changed with the events of September 11, 2001 with the beginnings of what would become known as Interfaith Partners. In 2002 the Roundtable began receiving funding for this work from the Andrus Family Fund.
With the 2006 effort to ban affirmative action in Michigan, the interfaith efforts of the Roundtable shifted in part to a racial justice orientation, which the Andrus Family Fund supported. The Bridging the Congregational Divide committee helped lead the Roundtable to the current Housing Project Partnership (Mock Trial/Truth Commission), which is a three-phase effort to advance regional racial equity
In summary, the Roundtable’s history of interfaith work continues today as it has for the past 69 years. We remain committed to interfaith work, which lies at the heart of what we do.
Michigan Roundtable for Diversity & Inclusion | 525 New Center One - 3031 W. Grand Boulevard | Detroit, Michigan 48202
Phone: 313-870-1500 - Fax: 313-870-1501